Wednesday, April 29, 2009

soup (extravaganza!)

Oh, man. So tonight I got really crazy with the soups. I decided I wanted to make one with the beautiful, seasonal organic leeks I had, but then I also really wanted to make one with Ventura's Thai curry pesto that was calling out to me from my fridge. And the two just couldn't come together in my mind... So I decided that since I was going to trash my kitchen making one soup, I might as well simultaneously make another one as well.

First soup was leek and mushroom.



I used reconstituted dried shitakes that I can get for pretty darn cheap at my local supermarket. (And then I used the mushroom soaking liquid as the broth- always delicious!) There was also some thyme, some Braggs, some white wine, and verious other good stuff. I drizzled a little truffle oil on top, and also put some minced parsely on Katie's. It turned out really earthy and filling. Missing a hint of something, but I'm not sure what...

Next was my Thai inspired soup!I satueed some of Ventura's thai curry pesto, then added (in no particular order) coconut milk, cooked sweet potato, cooked peas, cooked rice noodles, jalepeno, some broth... (and, naturally pureed it all at the end...) All of this made for a really, really tasty and dynamic soup. It seriously lit up parts of my mouth I had all but forgotten about. Cheers to that.

1 comment:

ventura said...

"It seriously lit up parts of my mouth I had all but forgotten about." What a great line Jess!
I think about these things when I make my food.

Kim just got back into juicing herself. She got a super dupper juicer...I'm in big trouble now. No more porter house steaks? :(