Monday, April 20, 2009

polynesian peanut soup


Tonight's dinner was a really interesting and rich combination of flavors. The recipe again came from the "A Beautiful Bowl of Soup" book my friend Molly gave me, and was delightfully easy. I first sauteed a chopped onion, some chopped ginger, and 4 minced cloves of garlic in some peanut oil, until soft. I then put the onion mixture in a blender and added a can of coconut milk, 3/4 c. peanut butter, 3/4 c. veg. broth, about 1/2 c. mango chutney, a minced jalapeno (sans seeds), and a handful of cilantro. I then blended it on high for a couple of minutes and returned it to the dutch oven that the onion was cooked in, to heat it through. I must say it really filled me up, more than any soup I've had so far, and it was absolutely delectable! A special note on the mango chutney- I am lucky to have a plethora of the most wonderful and fresh condiments in my fridge right now, thanks to my friend Ventura and his amazing company, Greek Island Spice. All of his products transform the ordinary, into the extraordinary, so thanks V.!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! I'm glad you found a filling soup. Yay Ventura.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and that comment is from strassi!