Wednesday, April 22, 2009

book club (and soup)


Tonight was my monthly book club gathering. I love book club, both because it is a group of great women, and because it forces me to read books that I might not otherwise read. But the thing about book club, is that it is also sort of a 'food club.' We take turns hosting, and the host makes a main dish, and the guests all bring something to contribute- salad, wine, desert, wine, appetizer... you know. Not surprisingly, tonight my contribution was soup and wine. I made a 'spicy butternut squash soup' courtesy of my good friend Beth, who got the recipe from "Vegetable Harvest." In addition to roasted butternut squash, in the soup was an apple, various other ingredients, and some curry powder and ground ginger.



The flavors collided for a great mix of 'vegetable mellow' and sweet and spicy. I must say here, I love my little spice container system. Check it out. I have two boxes of these little round containers. Man, how I take pleasure in the little things...

1 comment:

ventura said...

Jess, you are really really incredible with your cooking skills. I guess your time at the Epcot food/wine Festival did you some good. :)

I think you are missing some good safron. I'll send Monday...