Monday, May 18, 2009

strawberry-rhubarb crisp (mushy)

So now that my food doesn't necessarily have to be through a straw, I'm trying to branch out into the mushy food realm. But I have to say, it's been a little rough, since I've gotten so used to "straw" eating. The act of chewing makes me a little uncomfortable, especially since my teeth don't 'fit' together anymore, and any sort of chewing makes my mouth sore. But if there is one early summer combo that I can't resist it's strawberry and rhubarb, and while it might be tasty in a smoothie, or even in a juicer (hey- I might try that later this week!), nothing beats it hot and bubbling from the oven, with some sort of dough or crisp on top. My grandparents used to grow both strawberries and rhubarb, and man grandma Dahlin's strawberry rhubarb pie was not to be missed! This past weekend I made a strawberry rhubarb crisp that was pretty darn good. I cut up a bunch of strawberries and rhubarb, and mixed the fruit with some sugar, cornstarch, and orange zest and juice. (Please never slice your fingernail on a rasp- not nice!). For the 'crisp' I mushed together earth balance (vegan butter) with oatmeal, ginger powder, brown sugar and some flour. Then I put the fruit in a greased dish, and the crisp on top and baked it extra long to be sure it got sufficiently mushy for me to eat (about 50 mins. at 350). It was extremely tasty, I have to say. I miss grandma Dahlin's pie though...

No comments: