Wednesday, May 6, 2009

pho (liquified)

Hey, fellow Columbia Heights/Mt. P folks- I finally checked out the new pho place on Park Rd., Pho 14. Unfortunately, for you, I didn't have my camera with me, so I don't have a beautiful pho-to for you. Instead you get stuck with a photo of me looking mischevious taken with my friend's camera phone at the restaurant. Sorry abut that... Anyhow, the pho... It was great! And they have vegetarian pho, which isn't particularly easy to come by. When I asked our server if she could blend it up for me, she said 'sure, I'd be happy to do that for you.' But I guess she got overrode, because a little while later a dude came to the table and explained that because they used the blender for smoothies, they couldn't possibly blend my soup in it. (What? Don't they have soap and water?) But he wasn't going to change his mind, and I was seated with 3 friends, and really, really didn't just want to have the broth. I wanted the tofu, and veggies, and rice noodles... all of it. So I ran home (5 mins) and got my immersion blender, and broght it back, and let the kitchen borrow it to puree my soup. Maybe crazy, maybe a great idea, you decide (I blame it on being SO over the whole jaw wired thing). Anyhow, when they eventually brought the blended version, it was really tasty! I have to admit, the non-blended version looked better- with the big chunks of lightly fried tofu and steamed veggies floating around in it. But with a little hot sauce, the blended version was all that I needed it to be. And, as an added major bonus, they have really delicious avocado smoothies. On the down side: no wine, and you can't byob. Argh. Bu all in all, a nice addition to the nieghborhood. Just don't forget your immersion blender if you can only drink through a straw...

OK, I'm going to enjoy the sound of the thunderstorm now.

No comments: